Exploding PSU

Advice on which power supply unit is right for your system and tips on how to install a PSU.
humanX
Site Admin

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:08 pm

A few years ago I replaced the PSU in my son's computer. At the time I didn't have a lot of money for a replacement so I purchased a generic power supply for about 25 Euros. About a week after the install, my son was sitting at his desk when he heard a loud bang. Later he told me it sounded like a firecracker. immediately following the small explosion, smoke rose out of the back of his desk. When I came into the room small flames were jumping out of the back and side vents of the case. I quickly hit the breaker, disconnected the PC and tossed it out onto his balcony. After that I poured bottled water into every orifice I could find. I should have known better than to buy a cheap, no name power supply.

Needless to say, I'm extremely grateful that nothing happened to my son ... he usually falls asleep with the PC on.

CPU: Intel i5 3.2 GHz * RAM: Crucial 2x 8 GB * Motherboard: ASRock H97 Performance * Video Card: Sapphire RX 570 Nitro Plus 8 GB * Hard Drives: Crucial 256 GB SSD, 3x Seagate 1 TB * PSU: bequiet! 700 watt gold * Case: bequiet! SilentBase 800 * Speakers: Logitech 5.1 * Displays: 2x Eizo 19" and 1x Samsung 27" * Keyboard and Mouse: Logitech K800 and G500S * Headphones: Philips SHP8900

Return to “Power Supply Units”