Sony MDR-XB950AP

humanX
Site Admin

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:23 pm

I purchased Sony's MDR-XB950AP headphones a few days ago. I should have paid more attention to the model number, because the XB means extra bass. Sony isn't messing around here, they've tweaked the bass on these cans to an extreme. While playing Fallout 4 the bass made walking in power armor sound like I was a 30 foot robot. Regardless whether I was listening to music, or watching videos and regardless of which media player I was using, I couldn't adjust the bass to a satisfactory level. For me, the bass was too much. No matter how I tried to tweak the bass, I just couldn't get to where I was enjoying what I was listening to. I use my headphones for a variety of media: gaming, movies and music, so it's important to me that the headphones sound great while consuming these formats.

Needless to say, I sent them back. I guess, for now, I'll stick with my Philips SHP 8900 cans.
CPU: Intel i5 3.2 GHz * RAM: Crucial 2x 8 GB * Motherboard: ASRock H97 Performance * Video Card: Sapphire RX 570 Nitro Plus 8 GB * Hard Drives: Crucial 256 GB SSD, 3x Seagate 1 TB * PSU: bequiet! 700 watt gold * Case: bequiet! SilentBase 800 * Speakers: Logitech Z-640 5.1 * Displays: 2x Eizo 19" and 1x Samsung 27" * Keyboard and Mouse: Logitech K800 and G500S * Headphones: Philips SHP8900

Return to “Headphones and Headsets”